- Research suggests that the prevalence of just anxiety or depression alone is higher in athletes (34%) than the general population (20%).
- A National Center for Biotechnology Information study found that as many as 23.7% of college athletes experienced depressive symptoms that reach clinically relevant levels.
- 33% of all college students experience significant symptoms of depression, anxiety or other mental health conditions.
- Only 10% of college athletes experiencing psychological issues seek help, this may be due to busy schedules and stigma associated with mental health in the athletic community.
- Statistics reveal that 90 PERCENT of student athletes report some sort of sports-related injury.
- According to data from the National College Health Assessment surveys, about 31% of male and 48% of female National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) student-athletes reported either depression or anxiety symptoms each year of the 2008 and 2012 academic years.
Copyright © 2020 EXTA, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.